Royal Artillery Drivers, 1812
Aquatint by J C Stadler after Charles Hamilton Smith, 1812.
The Corps of Artillery Drivers was established in 1793. It was responsible for the movement of guns, ammunition wagons and supplies. Previously this role had been undertaken by civilian contractors, an arrangement that often resulted in the drivers abandoning their horses and wagons once battle had commenced. At Waterloo (1815) about half of the 5,300 artillerymen in the Duke of Wellington's army were drivers.
From Charles Hamilton Smith's 'Costumes of the Army of the British Empire, according to the last regulations 1812', published by Colnaghi and Company, 1812-1815.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum, Out of Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection
Browse related themes