Brodrick cap, staff sergeants, 12th (Prince of Wales's Royal) Lancers and 16th (The Queen's) Lancers, sealed pattern, 1904
Scarlet cloth forage cap made by Hobson and Sons, with Royal Army Clothing Department standard pattern label attached. Sealed pattern approved 29 June 1904, marked in red as obsolete, 20 December 1905.
The Brodrick cap was introduced into wear in 1902 and was designed as an undress piece of headdress. It was named after William St John Brodrick, who was Secretary of State for War from 1900 until 1903. The headdress was universally unpopular and of limited practical use and was abolished in 1905, being replaced by the khaki peaked forage cap.
Sealed patterns were used to govern manufacture of insignia, establishing a prototype of any item that the British Army issued to soldiers. It provided clothing or equipment suppliers with an example to copy.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection