No. 2 (Derajat) Mountain Battery, 1878 (c)
Photograph by Bourne and Shepherd, 2nd Afghan War, 1878 (c).
Although Horse, Field, Siege and Garrison Artillery were manned only by British gunners after the Indian Mutiny, Mountain Batteries remained in the hands of Indian artillery-men. The Mountain Batteries were equipped with light, portable guns ideally suited for service in the hilly terrain of the frontier regions. In April 1879 the size of a battery was increased from four to six 7-Pounder Rifle Muzzle-Loading (RML) guns each weighing 90 kg.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum, Out of Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection
Browse related themes