Regimental Colour, 4th West India Regiment, 1795-1804 (c)
This is the centre portion of a colour (an infantry flag). It is delicately embroidered with two infantrymen. The 4th West India Regiment was raised in 1795 as Nicholl's Regiment of Foot and served at Martinique (1809) and Guadeloupe (1810) during the Napoleonic Wars (1803-1815) before disbandment in 1819. The regiment was re-established in 1862 going on to serve in the Gold Coast (1863-1864), British Honduras (1866) and Gambia (1866) before final disbandment in 1869.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum Copyright
National Army Museum, Army gallery
Browse related themes