Field Marshal Sir Claude Auchinleck Inspecting Members of the Women's Auxiliary Corps (India), 1947 (c)
Photograph, India, 1947 (c).
The Women's Auxiliary Corps (India) was established in 1942 and performed similar duties to Britain's Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS). These included driving, clerical and cipher work and general services, such as ferrying supplies for the troops. By February 1944 there were 7993 women in the Corps. It was disbanded in 1947 when India gained its independence.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum, Out of Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection
Browse related themes