Cap badge, 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers), 1902-1922
Badge with the regimental numeral and initials, 'VI' over 'DG', within a garter bearing the motto, 'Honi Soit Qui Maly Pense', surmounted by crown. All over crossed carbines with a scroll below with the regimental title, 'Carabiniers'.
The 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers) was originally formed as Lord Lumley's Regiment of Horse at the time of the Monmouth Rebellion in 1685. With battle honours including Blenheim and Ramillies, it became the 6th Regiment of Dragoon Guards in 1788. The term 'carabinier' relates to the unit's use of a carbine, a shortened musket or rifle. The Regiment went on to serve in the Crimea, Afghanistan and South Africa. It saw extensive service on the Western Front during World War One (1914-1918) and was amalgamated with the 3rd Dragoon Guards (Prince of Wales's) in 1922, to form the 3rd/6th Dragoon Guards.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum Copyright
National Army Museum, Army gallery