Glengarry badge, other ranks, 58th (Rutlandshire) Regiment of Foot, 1874-1881
Brass badge with regimental numeral, '58', within a garter bearing the motto, 'Montis Insignia Calpe', 'By the sign of the rock', surmounted by castle.
The 58th Regiment of Foot was raised in 1755. The regiment saw service in North America and the West Indies during the Seven Years War (1756-1763). In 1782 the Regiment adopted the Rutlandshire county designation. This badge dates from the Regiment's return to England from service in India and its subsequent deployment to South Africa. The Regiment was amalgamated with the 48th (Northamptonshire) Regiment of Foot, to form the Northamptonshire Regiment in 1881.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection