Other ranks' glengarry badge, 68th (Durham) Regiment of Foot (Light Infantry), 1874 (c)
In 1756 the 23rd Foot raised a second battalion and two years later, in April 1758, this was turned into a regiment in its own right with the numeral 68. It initially recruited in the county of Durham and this link was formalised in 1782. The regiment's nickname was 'The Faithful Durhams' which is thought to originate from their loyal service in the West Indies in the 1770s, despite suffering heavy losses from yellow fever.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection