Other ranks' glengarry badge, 70th (Surrey) Regiment of Foot, 1874 (c)
Originally raised in 1758 in Scotland, the 70th did not gain its county title of 'Surrey' until 1782. However, in 1811 four of the regiment's companies were sent from the West Indies to Scotland to recruit following losses to disease. The following year the rest of the regiment joined them there. This led to the unit switching its county title to 'Glasgow Lowland'. It did not regain its link with Surrey until 1827. Unsurprisingly, these Scottish connections led to the 70th being nicknamed 'The Glasgow Greys' - grey being the original colour of its uniform facings.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection