Glengarry badge, other ranks, 76th Regiment of Foot, 1874-1881
Brass badge in the form of the Regiment's number, surmounted by an elephant with a howdah.
The 76th Regiment of Foot was raised in 1787 for service in India, where the unit fought against Mysore, Maratha and French forces, adopting the Indian elephant as its insignia. The 76th participated in the Peninsular War (1808-1814) and served in the West Indies, Canada, Corfu and Malta. After another posting to India and then Burma, the Regiment was amalgamated with the 33rd (Duke of Wellington's) Regiment in 1881, to form the Duke of Wellington's Regiment.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection