Glengarry badge, other ranks, 85th (Bucks Volunteers) King's Regiment of Light Infantry, 1874-1881
Brass badge in the form of a bugle horn with the Regiment's number within a knotted cord.
The Regiment was raised in 1793 as the 85th Regiment of Foot. With Buckinghamshire as the affiliated county and a conversion to light infantry status, the Regiment became the 85th (Bucks Volunteers) Regiment of Foot (Light Infantry) in 1808. The 85th fought in the Peninsular War (1808-1814). The Regiment went on to serve in Canada, India, Mauritius, South Africa and Afghanistan. Army reforms eventually led to the amalgamation of the 85th with the 53rd (Shropshire) Regiment of Foot in 1881, to form the King's Shropshire Light Infantry.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection