Smoothbore muzzleloading wall or prow cannon, taken at Kabul, 1842
This swivel-gun was taken as a trophy by the British 'Army of Retribution' that occupied Kabul in September 1842 towards the end of the 1st Afghan War (1839-1842). The barrel is metal reinforced with wood, making it relatively light for its strength. This and the metal pintle, or prong, suggest the gun was intended to be portable and mounted on a wall. Major-General George Pollock's force departed from Kabul with 44 pieces of Afghan ordnance, but most had to be destroyed and abandoned because they were too large and heavy.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection