Other ranks' cap badge, The Essex Regiment, 1914 (c)
The regiment was formed in 1881 by merging the 44th and 56th Regiments of Foot, both of which already had territorial associations with the county. The amalgamated regiment's badge depicted the Castle and Key of Gibraltar, within a wreath of oak, surmounted by a sphinx resting upon a frosted tablet bearing the honour 'Egypt'.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum Copyright
National Army Museum, Study Collection