Other ranks' cap badge, Durham Light Infantry, 1914 (c)
A stringed bugle horn decorated with a foliate design surmounted by a monarchial crown. The Durham Light Infantry were formed in 1881 when the 68th and 106th Regiments became the 1st and 2nd Battalions respectively. Light Infantry troops were originally employed to skirmish ahead of the main force. In this role a heavy drum was not suitable for conveying orders in the field and was therefore discarded in favour of the lighter bugle. The instrument was incorporated into the badges of all light infantry regiments.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum Copyright
National Army Museum, Army gallery