Wolseley helmet worn by Lance-Corporal C K Thompson, Prince of Wales's Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians), 1916 (c)
The Wolseley helmet was named after the Army Chief of Staff during the late Victorian era, Sir Garnet Wolseley. It consisted of cloth over cork or pith (often from the sola plant). Helmets of this style continued to be used by the military until the 1940s.
Thompson was probably a member of either the 1st or 6th Battalions of the Leinster Regiment as these two units served in Gallipoli, Salonika (6th Battalion), Egypt and Palestine (1st and 6th Battalions), theatres of war in which the Wolseley helmet was standard issue.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum, London
National Army Museum, Study collection