Cap badge, South Staffordshire Regiment, 1900 (c)
White metal Staffordshire knot surmounted by a monarchial crown, with a gilt scroll bearing the regimental title below.
The regiment was formed in 1881 by merging the 38th Regiment of Foot and the 80th Regiment of Foot. Both of these regiments had an existing affiliation to Staffordshire, so the new unit became the county regiment for the southern half of that county.
In 1959 the regiment merged with The North Staffordshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales's) to form The Staffordshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales's). This was then amalgamated with The Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment (29th/45th Foot) and The Cheshire Regiment in 2007 to form a new large regiment, The Mercian Regiment.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection