View south looking towards Balaklava, 1855
Photograph by James Robertson (1813-1888), Crimean War, 1855.
The town and harbour of Balaklava was the base for British operations in the Crimean War (1854-1856). The now well-established camp shown in this photograph includes huts made of timber and corrugated metal. A fleet of ships can be seen in the distance, with the Genoese Castle overlooking the harbour.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum, Out of Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection