Cap badge, 17th (The Leicestershire) Regiment of Foot, 1898-1946
A gilt metal badge with tiger passant gardant, with a silver scroll below bearing the title, 'Leicestershire', surmounted by a silver scroll bearing the battle honour, 'Hindoostan'. Fittings at back absent.
The 17th (The Leicestershire) Regiment of Foot was originally raised by Colonel Soloman Richards in 1688, at the time of the Glorious Revolution. The regiment fought in the Nine Years War (1689-1697), the War of the Spanish Succession (1701-1713) and the 1st Jacobite Rebellion (1715). In 1751 the regiment became the 17th Regiment of Foot and fought in North America and the West Indies during the Seven Years War (1756-1763). It also served in the American War of Independence (1775-1783), gaining its county affiliation with Leicestershire in 1782.
The regiment was stationed in India from 1804 to 1823. The London Gazette of 25 June 1825 records, 'His Majesty has been pleased to approve of the 17th or Leicestershire Regiment of Foot bearing on its colours and appointments the figure of the "Royal Tiger," with the word "Hindoostan" superscribed, as a lasting testimony of the exemplary conduct of.the Corps during the period of its service in India, from the year 1804 to 1823'.
The regiment served in India again, participating in the 1st Afghan War (1839-1842) and the Indian Mutiny (1857-1859). It also participated in the Crimean War (1854-1856). In 1881, the regiment became the Leicestershire Regiment, expanding in size for both the Boer War (1899-1902) and World War One (1914-1918). Following World War Two (1939-1945) the regiment was granted 'Royal' status but in 1964, it was amalgamated into the Royal Anglian Regiment.
From a group of badges associated with 17th (The Leicestershire) Regiment of Foot, part of the former collection of Major H G Parkyn.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum Copyright
National Army Museum, Study Collection