Glengarry badge, other ranks, 44th (East Essex) Regiment of Foot, 1874 (c)
Cast brass badge in form of the regimental number, '44', surmounted by a sphinx seated above the battle honour, 'Egypt'.
The 44th was raised in southern England in January 1741 and 41 years later was given a county association with East Essex. The sphinx on their cap badge was awarded following the regiment's service during the Egyptian campaign of 1801.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection