'Long Cecil' at Kimberley, 1900 (c)
Photograph, Boer War (1899-1902), 1900 (c).
'Long Cecil' was a British gun built at the De Beers workshops by George Labram, chief engineer at De Beers and a key member of the besieged British garrison. It was named after Cecil Rhodes and still resides outside Kimberely Town Hall as a monument to those who fell during the Boer War.
From an album of 39 photographs associated with the Siege of Kimberley, compiled for Lord Roberts, 1900.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum, Out of Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection