Order of British India, 1837-1939, Badge of the 1st Class
Instituted in 1837 by the East India Company as an award to native officers for outstanding, long and meritorious service, the Order of British India continued to be awarded until the Partition of India in 1947. The Order was worn worn around the neck, originally from a sky blue ribbon, changed to crimson in 1838. In 1939 the Order was extended to officers of the remaining armed forces, frontier guards, military police and officers of the Indian princely states.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection
Browse related themes