Wounded from Ypres at the improvised hospital in Bailleul, May 1915
Photograph by Lieutenant-Colonel Howard Dent, Royal Army Medical Corps, World War One, Western Front (1914-1918), 1915.
The Second Battle of Ypres (1915) witnessed the first large-scale use of poison gas by the Germans. Despite temporarily opening a gap in the Allied lines it failed to end the stalemate on the Western Front. The hospital at Bailleul was situated about nine miles from the Ypres Salient and would have dealt with many of the gas victims as well as thousands of men wounded by shells and bullets.
From an album of photographs, inscribed, 'Photographs taken at the Front 1915 H.H.C. Dent OC 1/3 North Midland Field Ambulance RAMC 46 Division'.
NAM Accession Number
Not NAM Copyright, Artist's Estate
National Army Museum, Study collection
Browse related themes