Helmet, home service pattern, officer, worn by Lieutenant A G F Somerset, Northamptonshire Regiment, 1881-1902
Made by Hawkes and Company, 14 Piccadilly, London, 1895 (c).
These helmets were introduced into the Army in 1878, influenced by headdress of the Prussian Army at the time. Made of cork covered with blue wool cloth, they had metal fittings, including a spike worn by infantry regiments. For those regiments using horses a ball was fitted instead. A helmet of the same shape, without fittings, but covered in white cotton drill was introduced at the same time for use when on service abroad in hot climates.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum Copyright
National Army Museum, Study Collection