26th (The Cameronians) Regiment of Foot formed up in the King's Square (also called the Market Square) in St. George's Town, Bermuda, 1855 (c)
Daguerrotype, 1855 (c).
The 26th Regiment of Foot was sent to Bermuda in 1855, and were garrisoned there until 1859 when they returned to Ireland and Britain.
Named after inventor Louis Jacques Mandé Daguerre, Daguerrotypes consisted of images on a silvered copper plate, rather than paper or glass as with photographs. Since the metal plate was vulnerable, most daguerreotypes were housed in a special frame like this example that is inside a folding morocco case. The daguerreotype was invented in 1840 and was the first commercially successful photographic process.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum, London
National Army Museum, Study collection