Soldiers Attending Divine Service, 1798 (c)
Coloured aquatint by Schutz after Thomas Rowlandson, published by Rudolph Ackermann, London, 1 August 1798.
Compulsory church parade dated back to the 17th century and was only abolished in 1946. During the Wars of the French Revolution (1793-1802) the high command believed divine service acted as a moral guide for members of an army who were always prone to vices such as drink, adultery and theft.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum, Out of Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection