Busby badge, King's Royal Rifle Corps, 1914 (c)
Metal badge in the form of a Maltese Cross with a stringed bugle horn in the centre surrounded by a circlet bearing the unit title, 'The King's Royal Rifle Corps'; each arm is decorated with the unit's battle honours, and the top arm is surmounted by a tablet bearing the motto, 'Celer et Audax' (Swift and Bold).
The King's Royal Rifle Corps (KRRC) was formed in 1756 and was one of the first in the British Army to be equipped with rifles. As a rifle unit, the KRRC did not carry colours, so its battle honours were instead inscribed on its badge. By 1914, it had 40 battle honours, more than any other British Army regiment.
On the outbreak of the World War One (1914-1918), 1st and 2nd Battalions deployed directly to the Western Front, remaining there throughout the conflict. Meanwhile, 3rd and 4th Battalions arrived on the Western Front in December 1914. Eleven months later, they were both sent to the Macedonian front. 4th Battalion was recalled to the Western Front in July 1918, but 3rd Battalion remained in Macedonia until the end of the war. The regiment also raised 18 New Army battalions, but no further Territorial battalions, during the conflict.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection