'Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps - The Girl behind the man behind the gun', 1918
Colour photolithograph recruiting poster, unknown artist, published by the Parliamentary Recruiting Committee, 1918.
Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps (QMAAC) was the name given in April 1918 to the Women's Auxiliary Army Corps (WAAC). That force had been formed in 1917 to free up valuable and experienced soldiers from the rear areas for front line service. As well as cooking and waiting on officers, WAAC personnel served as clerks, telephone operators, store-women, drivers, printers, bakers and cemetery gardeners.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum, Out of Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection
Browse related themes