Whitworth 16-pounder 3.6 inch calibre muzzleloading rifled field gun, 1872.
In 1870 experiments took place to provide Field Artillery batteries with a heavier gun. The 16-pounder was chosen, mounted on a heavier version of the 9-pounder carriage. The carriages used were of an old pattern with wooden hubs rather than new metal types.
This was the last of the rifle muzzle loading (RML) guns before breechloaders returned for good. However, RML field guns remained in service with Volunteers until after 1900. The gun fired studded shells, the gun-metal studs engaging in the rifling. They were issued with common shell, shrapnel and case shot.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum, London
National Army Museum, Study collection