Centurion Bridgelayer tank
Photograph from a collection produced by the Central Office of Information, 1950 (c)-1969 (c).
The Centurion AVLB, produced by the Royal Ordnance Factory in Leeds from 1960 to 1963, came into service with the British Army in 1964. Based on the Centurion Mark 5 chassis, this mobile assault bridge replaced the Churchill Bridgelayer designed during World War Two. The bridge is shown raised to a vertical position on its launching arm prior to deployment. The aluminium alloy bridge had a span of 13.72 metres, and could be deployed in under two minutes.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum, Study collection
Browse related themes