George Medal awarded to Lance-Corporal Margaret Emma Richards, Auxiliary Territorial Service, 1948
Margaret Richards of the Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS) was awarded the George Medal after she gave first aid to soldiers wounded in an ammunition depot explosion, despite the risk of further explosions.
Like the George Cross, the George Medal was instituted by King George VI in 1940 for acts of bravery by civilians and service personnel for heroism not in the face of the enemy.
NAM Accession Number
Donated by the Trustees of the WRAC Museum from the Corps Collection
National Army Museum, London
National Army Museum, Army gallery
Browse related themes