A West Indian detachment of the Auxiliary Territorial Service, 1943 (c)
Photograph, World War Two, 1943 (c).
The Women's Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS) was established in September 1938. As well as Britain, recruits were sought from the Dominions, India and the West Indies. Six hundred West Indian women volunteered of whom half stayed in the Caribbean while 100 served in Britain. The remainder, comprising only white West Indian women, served in the British military mission to the USA in Washington.
One of 69 photographs relating to the West Indies Auxiliary Territorial Service, 1943-1947.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum, Out of Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection
Browse related themes