Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS) marching through Colwyn Bay
Photograph, World War Two (1939-1945).
An Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS) unit marching in full uniform and kit, proceeding a unit of men. The parade is marching in the middle of the road down a shopping street, flanked by crowds of civilians.
The ATS was the women's unit formed in 1938. Initially, similar to it's First World War predecessors the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps, the ATS were employed in non-combatant roles such as cooks, clerks and drivers.
From an album compiled by Chief Commander Blanche Barton, Auxiliary Territorial Service, 1938-1945.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum, Out of Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection