'June 1916: Part of 'Bird cage' Defences of Salonica - Near Baldza'
Photograph, World War One, Salonika (1915-1918), 1916.
'The Birdcage' was a fortified line constructed by the Allies in the hills around Salonika. It was given this nickname due to the huge quantities of barbed wire used in its construction.
One of 83 photographs in an album compiled by Captain Cedric Adolph Salvesen, 7th Battalion the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, May 1916 to July 1917.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum, Out of Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection