The Tyndareus Memorial, 1917
Stone memorial commissioned by the Labour Party MP and trade union leader Lieutenant-Colonel John Ward (1866-1934), Commanding Officer, 25th (Garrison) Battalion, Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex Regiment), to commemorate the exemplary conduct displayed by his men when the troopship 'Tyndareus', bound for Hong Kong, struck a German mine off Cape Agulhas, South Africa, on 6 February 1917.
The memorial, which originally stood on The Peak on Hong Kong Island, was brought to Britain in 1994, and stood from 1999 to 2003, at the entrance to the National Army Museum, Chelsea. The bronze plaque, in English and Chinese, was a later addition, and erroneously describes the memorial as having been erected in memory of the men of the 25th Battalion who died in the incident. In fact, all aboard were saved, and HMT 'Tyndareus' later managed to make its way to Simonstown. The ship saw service during World War Two and was broken up in 1960.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection