Home Guard personnel in communication centre, wearing civilian clothing with tin hats and gas masks, 1943 (c)
Photograph by Sydney Herbert Brewell, No. 3 Platoon E Company, 28th London Home Guard, World War Two, 1943 (c).
In 1940 the Local Defence Volunteers were formed. They consisted of individuals too old or too young to be assigned to front-line units, or people in reserved occupations. The organisation was eventually re-titled the Home Guard and was a defence against possible German invasion. The units were improvised and poorly equipped, but they were dedicated to their duties and helped maintain morale during the dark days of 1940. No. 3 Platoon was raised from the employees of A H Hunt (Capacitors) Limited of Wandsworth.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum, Out of Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection