Clipping head from horse clipping machine, 1950 (c)
This object forms part of an electric machine used to clip a horse's coat. During the First World War veterinary officers were told to clip horses to help control skin infections like mange. Unfortunately this led to an increase in the number of animals dying from exposure to the cold and the mud. In 1918 the order was relaxed so that only the legs and stomachs were clipped.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum Copyright
National Army Museum, Study Collection
Browse related themes