Fortifications at Chakdara, North West Frontier Province, 1905 (c)
Photograph by D N Bali, Rawalpindi, India, 1905 (c).
Following the Chitral campaign in 1895 the British fortified Chakdara, now in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa in Pakistan. The position guarded the routes into the Swat Valley and Chitral via the Lowari Pass. The British also constructed a suspension bridge over the Swat River. This photograph shows a new girder bridge under construction at the strategically important site.
From a photograph album compiled by Lieutenant Hugh Stephenson Turnbull (1882-1973), 57th Wilde's Rifles (Frontier Force), including, 'Snapshots and Views' in India and Egypt, 1903-1906.
According to the Hodson Index of Indian Army officers, Turnbull was commissioned in 1902 but only served in India for six years due to the climate being unsuitable for his health. He joined the Irish Constabulary in 1912 but returned to the Army during World War One (1914-1918), serving with the Gordon Highlanders. He was appointed Chief Constable of Cumberland and Westmorland in 1922, and became Commissioner of the City of London Police in 1926. He retired in 1950 and died in 1973.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum, Out of Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection