A German guard at Magdeburg, 1915
Watercolour by Lieutenant-Colonel Reginald Bond DSO, 2nd Battalion The King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, from a sketchbook of drawings and paintings in pastel, watercolour, pen and ink.
Magdeburg prisoner of war (POW) camp in Saxony was used to intern Allied officers from the British Empire, France, Belgium, Russia and Serbia. Bond arrived at Magdeburg in February 1915. A keen artist, he spent much of his spare time there drawing caricatures of his fellow Allied prisoners and the German camp staff, including this rather large German guard.
NAM Accession Number
National Army Museum, Out of Copyright
National Army Museum, Study collection
Browse related themes